Monday, December 6, 2010

What a difference 3 months makes!!!

Wow! Have I grown??
I can't believe it's been almost 3 months since we've welcomed our sweet Sophie Rose into our family! What pure joy she has brought into our midst; I awake daily to new questions as she continues to explore her new world.       

Most days are filled with many crafts, wrestling on the floor, playing the piano, singing in English and Chinese and mounds of laughter. I've learned that she is extremely smart, can laugh at herself, and act completely goofy all the while she is examining every nuance around her. 

She watches how I brush my teeth, walk, drive, cook, sing, play the piano; she asks why about every single situation and eventually we get back to..."Because God is God and we are not." She wants to know why Jesus is God yet He is the Son. ( At first, she thought Jesus was the sun...."Why is Jesus warm, Mommy?" We have had LOTS of discussions about homonyms~ sun, son, break, brake, etc.)

She is speaking in complete sentences, is starting to read and loves math addition and subtraction drills! She has grown about 2 inches since her arrival and is working on mastering a two wheeler and a scooter. She loves playing "Mommy", carefully arranging the furniture in her doll house, any beaded craft and PEOPLE. 
She continues to be a celebrity at church; after she's picked up from children's church, she runs to find a new person to chat with, shares her snack of  dried squid or hangs out with the nearest group of teenagers or singles. Her smile lights up any room upon her entrance.

When we began this journey 4 years, there were no little girls in our cul-de-sac; since then, God has brought 4 families w/ girls 5-8 years old. What a joy it has been to have tea parties, make cookies, ride bikes, read and get to know these families. Sophie is especially close with Katya, Emma and Caroline. Each young lady ( and parents) has been so incredibly kind and generous with Sophie. They share their scooters, ride- on cars and toys. Sophie has been invited to birthday parties and play dates almost weekly. We're so grateful for our neighbors who have welcomed her with open arms.

God has gifted our sweet gal in so many ways; she is athletic~ The coaches at the gym really were impressed w/ her when I took her for a free class! She is has an ear for music; she listens and repeats almost every song she hears and has learned to play the piano by ear. I've taught her some Chinese nursery rhymes and Joy to the World. This past Saturday, she excitedly played one her songs. I complimented her on playing it an octave lower only to find that she had transposed it to another key! She then proceeded to do it to the rest of the songs right before my eyes. To say that I was dumbfounded is an understatement.....Today, I started formally introducing her to the names of the notes and some basic theory!!!  

"When asked what she loves about America, Sophie said, "Hot dogs, pizza, stromboli, Christmas trees, tomatoes, grapes, shopping, piano, coloring, family nights, school, reading books, puzzles, trampoline, staying in my jammies all day, playing with friends and my cash register."

When asked what she doesn't like, she said, "Desserts, English is hard, fighting with Shane, ( which is her antagonizing Shane) and going to the doctor."


I'd say that the good outweigh the bad!!!

The first question most people have for us is~ "How is it adopting an older child?" 

For Todd, Ellie, Shane and I, it's been easier than we read, researched, discussed or ever imagined!

The biggest suggestion I have for folks in any stage of the adoption journey is~  

Trust God! 

Pray! 

Get Godly counsel!

It's sounds simple and cliche', but is truly how we made it through the long 3 year wait for Sophie Rose to come home. I pray the next trial I face that I can say that I trusted God more after it's over. 

We're told, mostly by local Chinese folks, that she is a lucky girl to have an American family. 

We are humbled by God's grace to allow us to raise this amazingly bright, beautiful young lady. 

From a Mama's heart~ Shari



1 comment:

Tammy and Kevin said...

Hello Shari!!
We've enjoyed watching your journey of your beautiful daughter!! Course I am partial to the Beijing girls!! What an inspiration to "older" adoption. I especially like her comment about her family when she picked her Christmas ornament!!
Merry Christmas!!
Tammy (Finding Grace)