Sunday, September 5, 2010

Greetings from Guangzhou

Ellie in the White Swan Lobby



Hi from Guangzhou!

I finally have some free time to blog~ yeah!

We arrived in Guangzhou on Friday during typhoon~ many families were rerouted and had to land in another province due to weather conditions. Our flight was surprisingly smooth~ PTL!

Some funny anecdotes I want to recall before I forget:

There is a dear little 2 year old boy on our travel group who Sophie knows. She helps and plays w/ him when we're altogether. The other day our Chinese guide overheard Sophie say to him in Chinese, "Wow! You're eating a lot; you ate a lot at the orphanage, too. Your belly's getting as big a a bull." LOL

Walking in the rain in Guangzhou

Our last night in Beijing was spent w/ Ellie, Shane and I venturing alone to the Pearl Market. Shane was a master bargainer. Ellie wanted to buy a t-shirt and the lady wanted to sell her one for 240 RMB...just for reference, I bought a strand of pearls and a pearl ring for 120RMB. Shane stepped in to rescue his sister and the lady became enraged,  swung her calculator w/ a pen attached and smacked him in the eye brow! We all had a good laugh, and Shane had a goose egg! One the way home, Shane led so well as he hailed us a cab, denied 3 of them who wanted to charge us 60 RMB ( 16 normally) to get back to the Marriott! After finally getting a taxi that would use his meter, we headed home~ only for our driver to begin making 3 wrong turns to a wrong hotel. Shane, in his calm and collected manner, stopped the taxi and said we would walk. We could see the Marriott dome and walked 4 blocks amid horrid traffic to finally get "home." 

Fascinated...
Sophie is warming up to me daily! She has a fascination w/ our chests~ she was in hysterics when she tried on my bra. Three Chinese little girls approached Todd in the hotel lobby and were all over him. They reached for his massive pecs, hysterically giggled in Chinese and tried to lift his shirt to see if he was a woman!!! The Chinese moms rescued Todd from a potentially embarrassing situation.

Last night we purchased Chinese dresses for Sophie and have "red couch" pics on Thursday. She chose dark purple and looks beautiful in it! We got sizes 8-16 for her to have in the future~ all for about 3$ per dress!

Sophie's first airplane ride to Guangzhou
 

As I said earlier, she is warming up to me every day. I say, "Mommy loves Sophie." She giggles and says,," Sophie boo yaw Mama." ( Sophie doesn't love Mama.) It's become a cute game! I just keep offering help and allow her to lead how much affection is given. I continue to kiss her; she giggles and wipes off my kisses. Last night she did invited me into her bed to look at her photo album. She fell asleep w/ me caressing her beautiful face. It was a little slice of heaven as I've watched from afar for 2 weeks!






Enjoying Starbucks
The area where we are in Guangzhou is wonderful~ much smaller, more quaint and much hotter ( humidity is 100%).  There are lovely little shops, a Starbucks (our caramel fraps were GREAT... Sophie had her first mango passion fruit smoothie) and beautiful European architecture everywhere. We love Lucy's, a local Western restaurant that caters to adoptive families. We've had fettuccine alfredo, wonderful stir fry veggies, beef and fresh basil and great burgers/fries. Tonight we're eating authentic Chinese on the island.

Please continue to pray that Sophie will learn to obey me; she runs away from me in public~ a very busy hotel, the crowded streets...I don't make a battle out of most things, but her safety is paramount.

Hope you enjoy the photos.

4 comments:

Emmie said...

Hey guys!
I can't tell you how much I love reading about your adventures with Sophie and about the Lord's hand on your lives... I was reading Romans 4 for my devotions yesterday morning and came across three verses that immediately made me think of you- Romans 4:20-22- "No distrust made him waver concerning the promise of God, but he grew strong in his faith as he gave glory to God, fully convinced that God was able to do what he had promised. That is why his faith was counted to him as righteousness." God's faithfulness to you is so incredible; what a great and mighty God we serve!
I really really really miss you guys, SGCF just isn't right without you! ;) Ellie and Shane, I can't wait to see you and hear all of your stories, to laugh with you and share your joy. And Sophie, little darlin', I can not wait to meet you! You are so adorable! Only a week to go!! I love you all and I am SO looking forward to seeing you when you come home.
Love,
Em

Pam said...

We are LOVING your posts and photos. You are having the adventure of a lifetime! Emmie is right, SGCF isn't the same without the Bentzels. Enjoy your last week in China and know that a joyous "cloud" of witnesses is celebrating what God is doing in and through your journey. Love to you all.

rwilson said...

Continuing to pray!!! Less than a week until you return... What a chronicle of God's grace you have shared with us!!!

Love you dearly!
Rebecca

Love for Lilly Yin said...

Lilly is obsessed with those too! SHe calls them Nay-Nays which I am guessing is slang. One of the first English phrase was Momma bigga nay nays.
Haha.