Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The World According to Sophie

Where did the week go?

I know~ in my warm water bed.

If I wasn't sleeping, I spent most of the time wishing it was 7pm so I could go back to bed!

It was hard for us all!

At 3pm every day, Sophie would try to sneak away and sleep. But w/ my creative detective devises, I found her every time~ follow the snoring child; she was found in her bed, car seat, kitchen couch and even at the kitchen bar table. ( Pictures of each later!)  Poor lovey!

I'm surprised, after we all got over our jet lag, how the "new normal" has seemed....well, pretty normal!

I have even had a couple of good quiet times w/ the Lord and on Tuesday, we had a family devotion time at 7am.

We compared our adoption into God's kingdom to Sophie's adoption into our family. Sophie awakened and joined us half way through allowing us to marvel again, as a family, at this wonderful, new "girlie" ( as Baba affectionately calls her) He's placed in our midst!

I've found that her grief usually manifests itself as anger usually directed toward me.  And she's just not sure how a family works yet. She'll be cuddling w/ Daddy, laughing and then help him lose a couple of pounds by biting his stomach....OR Shane and she will be rough housing and she'll slap or kick him w/ gusto. Talk about needing self control at those times! We've been grateful that those times are few and far between, but to say that they take us by surprise is an understatement!

Sophie's English progresses every day~ she's saying simple sentences and understands more than I originally thought. She listens and repeats almost everything we say, down to our phrases when we leave each other~" Bye! Love you! Special!"

Below are new experiences in Sophie's life during her first 2 weeks in the USA:

1. She went to the dentist to watch Todd; unbeknownst ( is that a PA Dutch word??) to me, the hygienist had a slot opened. Sophie allowed them to count, clean, floss and put fluoride on her teeth. She also sat completely still and they took x-rays! Wow!

2.Sophie had to have blood work done for her upcoming dr. appointment. I wasn't quite sure how she would do, but she went in, plopped on my lap, and put her arm on the table; the phlebotomist  put that tight rubber band around her tiny arm and poked away. She got in the first time, but couldn't find the vein, so she rooted around. All the while, not a flinch was made nor a tear shed. We also had a good laugh as we tried to get a urine sample~ a good giggle is more like it! As she buckled herself into the seat belt, she said, "Sophie do good job." I turned and said, "Sophie did a GREAT job." I wonder; I wonder what's all happened in the last 7 years.....

4. She met Grammy, Pappy, Uncle Matt and Aunt Susan last Sunday. After warming up a little, we headed off to the local pumpkin patch to see puppies, pigs, calves, sheep, and horses. She was intrigued w/ each one and did her best to check all pieces and parts!

5. Sophie loves church; the first week, she was the celebrity. Everyone was making ALL over her! The second week things died down, but she was thrilled to see her new friends. This week, she's been dedicated. She and I spent the day at the Montgomery Mall in the Narrtjie store~ my new favorite. Check out their website.

6. The biggest new thing in Sophie's life is us. She's just not sure how this "family" works yet, but I have to say that week two is shaping up much better than week one. She and I are still figuring each other out. I found out that she can laugh at herself, sing really loudly and sometimes on key, make her bed like the best nurse, dance like a maniac when no one is watching, and eat us out of house and home~ she ate 2lbs of grape tomatoes and grapes last week.  She doesn't like cake and cookies...yet. And she's deciding if I'm going to be able to stay. I let her call the shots when possible w/o being manipulated and carrry her when she asks...mostly from the car into stores. She completely wraps her arms and legs around me, snuggles close into my neck and hums a soft, gentle, "MMMMmmmm." I really think she loves me, but has just never had anyone lady give her such undivided love and attention.

Today I received my first unsolicited kiss on the cheek from my girlie!

I wanted to call the Washington Post and run a full page add, but I just softly whispered for the millionth time how much I loved her.

Stayed tuned for more~

2 comments:

Shepherd's Loft said...

Shari, I continue to keep you and your new family in my prayers. You are so loving and so able to see what your girlie is about and that is what she needs. That is wonderful! She is so blessed to be with your family. Love to you all!

Brittany said...

It is such a joy and a treat to read your blog and follow your journey over the past few months - I need to stop reading it at work though because I always end up crying and they'll probably send me to the company's counseling services if I don't stop. :)

Sophie is a beautiful little girl, I'm so grateful just to be able to watch your family grow - even through this blog. I was surprised to see she doesn't like cake and cookies!? My Aunt and Uncle adopted a boy from Russia about 12 years ago and to this day he doesn't like sweet, he will eat huge amounts of vegetables and fruit instead, I suppose there are worse things!

Praying for you all,

Brittany