Saturday, August 21, 2010

I've been pondering....

I've been pondering much today as I've packed and repacked, cleaned Sophie's room and continued to prepare my heart to become a new mom once again.

I wonder if the orphanage told Sophie that we were coming next week? I wonder if she's scared and wants to stay where she's comfortable or is she ready for the adventure of her lifetime?

We, along w/ our family and church family have waited and prayed for her for the last 3 years during which she's been living w/ nannies and other kids, going to school and having hip surgery (most likely on her own and w/o any pain meds.)

My heart has yearned and my arms ached since I saw her sweet face in February and had to continue to wait until "such a time as this."

I've pondered the body of Christ and have become even more acutely aware of God's care through them. So many families have bathed our adoption w/ prayer! I kinda feel like I'm going to be Truman ( The Truman Show) the next 3 weeks as we travel and blog daily.

Our dear friends had a lovely prayer time for us last Sunday after church and again at a pot luck picnic last night. We are so blessed and have been served and cared for~ from 3 offers to mow our grass, sign ups to bring meals for 2 weeks after our return home, buy groceries for us, clean my house, get our mail, weed our gardens, host fundraisers on our behalf, praying for flight upgrades ( Keep praying, Tim!!!)...I'm REALLY TRULY overwhelmed at the level of care we've received!

I'm pondering God's plan of adoption. I think about Sophie wanting to be adopted, but not really understanding what that means. What does a 7 year old child who's lived in a Chinese orphanage all her life know about the intricacies of adoption??? She may want a mommy and daddy, but has never been part of a family!

Even though she wants it, next Wednesday will probably be incredibly scary! She doesn't know how much she's desired, delighted in and loved...she may want to stay where it is "safe" when push comes to shove and it's time to say good-bye to everything she's ever known.

Isn't that just like us?

God has Called us, Redeemed us and Adopted us into His Family~ yet we don't grasp His love, his desire and his delight in us. That's the biggest thing God has taught me lately about this journey!

To my regret, I haven't taken lots of time w/ the Lord this week as I've been packing. My feet hit the floor and I burned the candle at both ends till the sun goes down.

Gratefully, the Lord doesn't love me any less and has continued to meet me, every day in so many ways!

While I'm packing, I've listened to my "Sons and Daughters" CD~ "The Father's Love" and "God Delights in You" have ministered to my soul. If you don't have it, get this CD! It's my favorite!

I did have an oasis amid the desert of my quiet times this morning. I've noticed that my default is to stop having QT when I'm busy or stressed, but that is when I really should be pressing into the Lord at a deeper level.

Today was that day! Hallelujah!!

I'm signing off now from America.

My next post will be from China.

It's the most surreal moment I've ever experienced.

And now, I pray for you all~ my family, church family and blog buddies ~what dear friends have been praying for us this week:

Numbers 6: 24-26....

"The LORD BLESS you and KEEP you;
The LORD make His face to SHINE upon you and be GRACIOUS to you;
The LORD lift up HIS COUNTENANCE upon you and give you PEACE.

Thanks for reading. Please post comments; we'll want to hear from you!

Much love and grace~ Shari



To my sweet Sophia Rose Xueqin Bentzel~ Momma is really coming...I'm on my way!

5 comments:

Marcia said...

LOVE and PRAYERS go with you, dear friend. I've got goosebumps reading this!

LedaP said...

Good luck! Can't wait to follow your journey to China to back home.

Darcie.Remsberg said...

You are OFFICIALLY in China Shari. It is 5:30 American time which means you landed an hour and a half ago. Maybe you are at your hotel but you are on the other side of the world with She O Chin. That is how I am remembering how to say beauties name. Spelling it how it sounds :) I am so excited to hear about your journey. I am going to pray for all FIVE of you during my quiet time this week. I love you beauty and may God bless your time in China. Remember to SLOW down and appreciate EVERY moment, every scene that God has allowed you so graciously to capture with your very own eyes. Tuesday at 8pm will be Wednesday at 8am your time in China and when I believe you will get She O Chin. I will be at Johns scrimmage and I will let the loudest yelp to our savior and remember how GOOD HE is.

Darcie.Remsberg said...

MandM above is Darcie. I updated my profile. I guess it was tricking me since I am fasting and praying today to remind me of chocolate of all things :) But God is GOOD and an ever present help :)

Brandy said...

Oh me. Tears just streaming down my face- I was fine until I read your sweet note telling your daughter that her mommy is really coming. Wow. What a tremendous blessing. She has no idea what a wonderful family the Lord has selected her to be a part of. What a precious time. Praying for you all- and can't wait to hear all about this part of your journey.