Friday, August 27, 2010

A New Sheriff in Town

sShari here at 5:24am....I miss you all so much! I know you understand that I have been silent on the "air waves" caring for little Missy May, but I'm so grateful that Todd has kept you abreast of photos, especially.

What an incredible last couple of days. Evidences of grace:

  1. God has given us one of the brightest, smartest and most independent "daughters of China." And I'm not just saying that b/c she's my kid. LOL
  2. She fits into our family like a kid glove. You will find her a little shy when you meet her, but after awhile, it'll be "no holds bar". She chatters in Chinese incessantly to us, throws her head back and cracks up and for the millionth time, I wish I could speak Chinese. 
  3. She loves her baba, ge-ge, and jie-jie ( Daddy, Shane and Ellie) She will let me care for her needs~ bathing, personal hygiene, which isn't much; this kid has definitely learned how to care of herself in the orphanage. 
  4. She is a girlie girl w/ a tom-boy walk. She loves dresses; by the way, size 5 dresses are too short on her. She has the longest legs!!!!! We've said at home that she's the size of Ella or Beka, NOT; she's got tiny fingers, hands, feet, but they are connected to octopus arms and legs~ not as tall as Chloe C., but all legs! B/c it's hot,  the dresses are fine for here, but I'm going to try to find some leggins for under dresses. She will be a challenge dressing her, but she is completely delighted at seeing the new dresses I pull out each day.
  5. The wonder on her face as she experiences new adventures is worth all the tea in China. She LOVES talking on the phone to El/Shane in their room; she picked up the Leapster and knew exactly how to work it! I'm in complete amazement at her uncanny ability to work electronics. She literally has ALL the cameras mastered and takes excellent pictures. If you see some that don't have her in them, she took them! 
  6. She won't answer to her Chinese name anymore, only Sophie. We aren't botching it, she just appears ready to make the transition already. She won't obey if we call her Xueqin; very weird. 
  7. Every day she speaks more English words~ "gentle, careful, no, yes, mommy, Ellie, Shane, eat,"~ there's more but I can't recall them all right now. 
Okay, prayer requests:
I'm so grateful that God has prepared my heart for her grieving; it's not recognizable outwardly, but it's manifesting itself in her shunning me. First, let me say, I'm fine! God prepared me for the worst, and as of today, it's not nearly as bad as I would have thought it would be....evidence of God's grace.

 As I said earlier, she will allow me to care for her needs, but that is the extent of it. She isn't affectionate w/ me at ALL. She will either wiggle away or run the other way when it's time for pics w/ me. She will have been laughing, but if I'm in any picture, she will make a solemn or ridiculous face. The first day at the pool was great; the second day, she only wanted to swim w/ Ellie. I had the kids go swim at the other end of the pool so it was just the two of us; she swam w/ me (b/c I held onto her) but she disconnected~ no eye contact, whining to go w/ the kids, pretending like she wanted to jump to me, but ran on the slippery deck. I literally about had a heart attack and instinctively reached for my life guard whistle! LOL Obviously, I only fell for that trick once~ Honey, there's a new sheriff in town, now, and it isn't you! I'm giving her LOTS of space and not making a big deal about it; I just smile and move on. Ellie and Shane hate it though....so their making it up but being especially affectionate in front of her w/ me....I remind them that it's part of her figuring out this new world of which she's been thrust! I'm sending lots of time in Psalms and am being refreshed by the oasis of the Word. ( Thanks, Steve for your word on Friday night; it's proving very accurate)

The big request is wisdom for us to parent her where she is right now. She's been testing both of us; she had her first melt down yesterday b/c she wanted to eat gummy vitamins as candy. She is hoarding food, which we understand and are allowing, but there are times, like in the bathtub, that you can't take the Costco bag into the tub. She thought she would win against the mighty Baba, but alas, it was a futile attempt. After a long day in the civil affairs office, we were tempted to be frustrated  w/ her. 

As she's getting more comfortable w/ us and because she's independent to a fault, last night she sprinted from a cab, through the Marriott doors, down the 75 yard crowded lobby to the elevator doors, laughing her devilish cackle of disobedience. Ellie and I looked at each other and ran to catch her, afraid she would get in that elevator by herself! I marched her to the local deputy, the consseirrge. He explained, in Chinese, how dangerous it is for her to run from mama by herself. She seemed to understand....we'll see how it goes today. 

Today, we're headed for the Blue Zoo Aquarium~ a free day excursion w/ our travel group. Chinese papa is picking us up at 8:30am, then we may also go to Wal-Mart afterward for a stroller or toddler leash; I don't want Sophie jumping over the Great Wall on Monday.

 I have so much more to write, but I'll leave the bullet points for my memory and to whet your appetite:

  • hot chili peppers
  • little kids
  • breast stroke 
 Thank you for your continued prayers. Todd has been reading your comments to me daily. I try to guess who wrote them before he tells me! 

Hi Grammy, Pappy, Papa and Grandma. I hope you are able to see pics and read our posts! Sophie has been looking at her picture album daily and saying your names! 

We love you all so very much~ Shari 


11 comments:

Marcia said...

Shari, your post breathes grace and gives me new fodder for prayer. Please know that 12 hours away, your friends are praying! LOVE, love...

Pam said...

Wow, you are amazing! God has so well prepared you for this little girl. I LOVED your response when she ran from the cab (taking her to a Chinese-speaking authority figure). And how wise to "move on" and not let her behavior towards you become something that gives her power. She WILL love you... and I fervently pray that she gets past this stage while you are still in China.

Meanwhile, enjoy! You get to walk on the GREAT WALL OF CHINA -- definitely something to tell the grandchildren about.

LOVE to you and your wonderful family.

Anonymous said...

Shari and family,
So much change for such a little one! It sounds to me like she is doing really well!! The independance will disappear over time. When we got home from China, Maddie fell on the sidewalk and busted up her knees. She stood up and seemed to ignore me (like she KNEW I would not take care of her). I immediately picked her up, took care of her scratches and then made a big deal every time (in the following weeks) she would fall. It was as if I had to teach her that a Mama's kiss helps a ton. :) Your girl will learn that you are her family FOREVER and that her needs WILL be met. Keep enjoying China and , more importantly, your dgt. God Bless, Heather Luke

Scott W. Somerville said...

I've just been reading Ezekiel--there's so much in the prophets about God's adopting love for His wayward people. May He give you more of His own heart as you live out His life in loving Sophie Rose.

Love for Lilly Yin said...

Hi honey! I talked with you before travel, its Lillys Mom. Lilly did all those things too. Don't worry. It will happen. Lilly had the most untrust towards me for awhile. Once you gte home you can work on attachment with you, and as she sees she can trust you, attachment will come. Lilly is great with me now. Let me know if you need me!

Bambi said...

We love you guys and are really enjoying the updates with pictures!!!! Shari, you are so wise in your dealings with little Sophie. Sounds like she is such a sweetie! We'll be praying for her to seek you out for affection, and for continued patience and kindness from you when she does not.

I did have to laugh a little at the tantrum over the vitamin gummies. What is it with those things! We've had tantrums over here about eating more of those silly things too! We've even had tantrums at Walmart when I would not buy more! Ugh!

We'll also pray that she realizes she must stay with you and not run off. How scary! Have a wonderful trip! Know that you all are so loved and very prayed for ; )

rwilson said...

Shari,

Thanks so much for all the details!! How precious it is to see/hear God's abundant grace through you and to you in this time!! I agree with all the above comments about her attitude towards you. God's grace is evident in your words about the situation. Praying specifically for her safety and realization that she needs you!

I love you so much my dear friend!!!

Paul is going to the youth event with Julie today so I will be cleaning for the singles meeting tonight! How typical of you to serve the body by hosting even when you are 1/2 a world away!!!

Rebecca

Shepherd's Loft said...

Shari, I'm so enjoying following your journeys, both of them. The one in China and the new mamma journey, too. I will let Joyceee know she needs to come out here to read more to catch up. Love your "Red String Song" please leave it on a couple days so Joyceee can enjoy it. Love you all.

Debra Ann said...

Hello My Far-Away Friends,
I am so enthralled w/this journey. Praying so hard for her little heart and for you, Shari, I know how hard this is, and I am lifting you up to Our Maker! Thank you so much for the updates and pics, it's so much fun to watch you all and your surroundings! I miss you all tons and can't wait to hear/see more!
SPECIAL....

Darcie.Remsberg said...

Reading your note this afternoon felt like we were having a fireside chat and I almost felt you here with me sister. Thank you for all of the details and for including us in your journey. Thank you for sharing with us ALL of the evidences of grace that you have seen in a mere FOUR days and you get to be there for another TWELVE days so looking forward to all that God will show you and that much fruit will bear itself while you are there in China. Thank you for sharing your heart in your prayer requests and know that we are mature adults and we have tantrums about things too and that sometimes we want to eat in the bathtub too. And maybe she never saw a vitamin before let alone a gummy vitamin so I am sure that she was not intentionally trying to disobey. And running to the deep end to Shane and Ellie may have seemed more interesting because people can jump and go under the water and it may be you cant jump in the shallow end. Please know that it may not be you beauty that she is trying to avoid but rather new exciting things she is trying to explore (wrap your mind around that one). Sometimes we are thrill seekers and not trying to go where it is comfort and ease. And about the cab; good job on getting an interpreter but she may never have seen a huge hotel before and a long lush carpet that she could run across, through people and push a shiny elevator button. That would be cool for a seven year old. Not going to deflect any of what you are saying but enjoy the adventure. Maybe even have Ellie and Shane watch her tonight in their room and you and Todd run through the lobby through people and see who can get to the elevator the quickest without a bunch of non attention. Maybe she was seeking attention because maybe she was in need of it. HOWEVER; BE ENCOURAGED and know that GOD chose SOPHIE FOR YOU AND TODD AND SHANE AND ELLIE and not any other of the billions of girls that are over there. SOPHIE was the perfect fit for you even before time began; that was GOD's PLAN and HE will give you sufficient grace to all of the challenges that present itself so buckle up and enjoy the ride and make sure you are teaching and she WILL COME AROUND. I waited to post because now it is 8:00 a.m your time Sunday morning and I am hoping for a WONDERFUL DAY. Please tell me you spent some time with Todd yesterday alone and also today I will be specifically praying for some girl time with you, Ellie and Sophie and also for Todd and Shane to get some man time today. Then always blessed family time together. I am encouraged you were pressing into Psalms for your comfort. God is good. Love you. Darcie

Kathy T said...

I'm sure your overwhelming love for her is frighteningly unfamiliar.