Monday, August 23, 2010

We're not in Kansas anymore...

Thanks for praying us here; we're all heathy and safe!!!

Although our flight was uneventful, our backs said something different this morning, but that could just be Todd and I getting old, not due to us sitting for the last 13 hours!

We read, played card games, watched movies and listened to iPods on our flight. They fed us more food than I eat in a week.

Anyone who's been recuperating in a hospital can understand....trying to get some 'shut eye' and the nurses ontinually take vitals every 3 hours...that was the same experience except it was passing food down the rows~pretzels, soft drinks, pasta meal, chicken meal, sandwiches, noodles!!!

"Just let me sleep!!!!"

When asked about this phenomenon, the flight attendant assured us that it was for our good, to get us on the new time!

Today, I'm thankful for it! Smile!

We see God's hand EVERYWHERE! But, I'm continually reminded that we are in a communist country!

Every time I say something aloud about how God has provided for us, Shane gives me a pinch; I keep forgetting b/c I am amazed at His provision; therefore, my arm is black and blue...not really, but he and Ellie are giving me the " Mom, stop!" look.

They don"t want to have to bail me out of jail my first day here!

We were met by Bethany's tour guide and our "Chinese Papa" at the airport. Joy was unaware that we were staying at the Marriott...hmmmm....communication didn't make to China...oh well, we left w/ our driver and headed through the city of Beijing.

Daniel and Matthew C.~ You were right about the crazy driving conditions here! People, bikes, cars, buses...no traffic rules...people just walk in the middle of the street in front of cars...it's unbelievable; it was worse than Rome. Ellie and I about had a cow!!

We did our best to stay awake till dark; poor Todd was asleep by 7pm w/ his beloved lap top on his chest trying to get blog spot ready for me!

Ellie and I wandered downstairs to the restaurant for dinner...an American resturant in a Chinese hotel...we did have some difficulty ordering a chef salad and a burger! I had a very small idea about how dear Sophie will feel tomorrow morning!

We had an excellent Western breakfast this morning! We're heading out to a grocery store for bottled water today~ our big adventure. We'll go swimming and then have dinner w/ the Stegalls; Pam, I'll give her the book!! How appropriate to have dinner w/ this dear family. As we were praying about our decision to adopt, I randomly met Denise at Costco; now 3 1/2 years later, we're together again.

We'll go to bed early tonight as we have to be at the Chang An Hotel at 8:30am to meet our sweet Sophie Rose! They'll bring the chldren to meet us in the hotel lobby.

Catoes, thank you for all your letters and very generous gift~ what a surprise!! It was salve to our tired souls as we settled into our hotel rooms after an exceptionally long 2 days.

I can't believe we're really here and will finally meet the child that God had planned to be in our family since the foundation of time!!!  

Love you all, Shari for Todd, Ellie and Shane

Thanks for the comments some of you posted~we LOVE reading them! Keep em' coming!

15 comments:

Courtney L. Kramer said...

Aw!!! I'm so excited for you guys!! I hope and pray that you all sleep well tonight and have the most wonderful time with Sophie tomorrow. :-) I love you all and can't wait to see you and meet the newest addition to our family!

Darcie.Remsberg said...

I am so excited that you arrived safely in China. It is 6:23 pm there as I awake and get the kids breakfast and ready for their second day of school. In a mere fourteen hours (the time it took to fly to China) you will have She O Chin. Remember, that is how I am going to spell it (the way it is said). We are continually in prayer and remember, even if China is a communist country, God is still there, remember, HE CREATED CHINA and EVERYONE in CHINA so they can deny him NOW but remember, EVERY KNEE WILL BOW AND EVERY TONGUE CONFESS". I am praying for a revolution in China for HIS GLORY and I hope it is during our time when we will say "rememember China WAS A COMMUNIST COUNTRY". Well, may God be with you RIGHT NOW as you are enjoying dinner with two dear families. I love you beauty and THANK YOU for keeping us updated. The countdown begins. Tonight as I am sitting at the bleachers watching John's high school soccer game scrimmage; you will be getting your beautiful daughter. We are praying for an instant connection "Remember that God created her for YOU. He makes no mistakes beauty". Praying for sustained leadership and rest for Todd. For an adventure for Shane and Ellie and a total blast of a trip in China". Darcie

Debra Ann said...

Hello Dear Ones, I'm so glad you made it safe and sound! I'm just agreeing w/everything Darcie said/prayed! May you continue to feel His arms wrapped around you and leading you throughout this entire journey! Please hug and kiss eachother for me! I'm so excited I just can't stand it!

Brandy said...

I continue to be so affected as I read your blog. I just broke down trying to read it to Mark this morning. Just the thought of a little girl who's momma is doing all she can to get to her- what a beautiful picture. Praying for you.

Bambi said...

I have tears in my eyes thinking about how this is finally happening. I have this picture in my head of a mommy and a daddy working so hard to get to their sweet girl because they love her so much, and God above them all, arms outstretched saying "if you can love this much, how much more do you think I love you"

We love you guys and are so excited for you!

Catoe Family said...

Yeah!! Catoes are so excited to hear you got there safely. We can't wait to see the picture tomorrow of the entire Bentzel family as God has planned it from the beginning of time. It was funny to see you say you met your Chinese Papa because Papa was what I called my grandfather when he was alive. I will be like Deb and agree with all that Darcie said. Praying for restful sleep.

Jackie

Marcia said...

My eyes fill with tears as I see the goodness of God to my friend in this post. THANKS for safe travel and for the adventure before them. Am on pins and needles to see what the meeting with Sophie brings. LOVE is coming to you from MD thru me and my family!

Pam said...

What JOY to read about your safe arrival. I will have the tissues ready for the next post and (hopefully) the photo of when you first hold your daughter! May God be glorified with all you say and do. Let Jesus SHINE in China through you all. The Steeles send all our love and prayers.

Dan and Wendy said...

Even though we barely know each other, we are part of the same body of Christ and I am so excited and blessed to see how He is working in your family!! Praying for you each day and trusting that "God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches."

Polly Burgoon said...

I can't believe you guys are there!!! It seems so surreal. I imagine that almost right now you are meeting little Sophie....what an amazing, longed for moment! What a picture of God planning for us when we didn't even know him or want to know him!

I am praying that God will bond her heart with yours immediately!!!

Can't wait to see the photos!!!

Debra Ann said...

I picked up the phone to call you today...weird...knew that would happen! LOVE U ALL

Anonymous said...

HI Sophia's Family!! - 8:45 a.m. your time - and we are praying for you all!!!

From one 7 yr. old born in China to another - we are rejoicing you are soon to be a family.

Praying for ALL the transitions.
The Strites

Anonymous said...

Praying right now....it is about one hour after the time you should have met Sophia Rose. I am praying for her heart to feel the love you have for her. God Bless, Heather Luke

Anonymous said...

Greetings from a fellow Bethany Family. We just returned from adopting our 7 year old son from Beijing on August 13th.

Our trip is still fresh. For one of your free days in Beijing, if the weather is nice, we really enjoyed spending a morning walking through the Longtan Park. We enjoyed having tea at the edge of a small lake, and later enjoyed lunch at the Restaruant located inside the park. The park is just inside the 3rd ring road, near the south east corner of the road. The park is east of the Beijing Amusement Park.

Debra Ann said...

hmm, the park w/tea sounds wonderful, I'll do it mentally w/you!
Still praying for you all, overwhelmed by His Provision for Sophie and all of you...totally amazing pics...Thanks, keep 'em coming! I call first dibs on babysitting (even if it's not for several months :)